Many people have questions like “How to get started yoga?”,”What asanas are preferred for beginners?”,How much time should I have to spend on each asana? etc. So let’s get into the process of how to start yoga if you are a beginner,firstly we need to know about the basics of Yoga.
Basic movements of Yoga
While doing any kind of excercise,movements are very useful for beginners who doesn’t have any experience of Yoga or other excercise and want to start yoga practice.
Human body has several joints which needs lubrication and movements.The food we are consuming supplies the lubrication and yoga or other activities provide the movements.But in our regular life some of our joints are overused and some are rarely used which creates problems at later stage in your life.To maintain the healthy condition of our joints,basic movements necessary and also helpful to prepare your body to do Yoga practice.
Prerequisites to perform yoga
- For children below 12 years of age,yoga postures should not be practiced for long duration and asanas are to be maintained for very short duration.
- To get the maximum benefits of doing Yoga,you should practice yoga for atleast 30 to 45 min everyday.
- Best time to practice Yoga is early morning but you can also practice in the afternoon or evening after following food restrictions.
- Food Restrictions: Your stomach should be empty while practicing,it means you can consume food 3.5hr before practicing and liquid 1hr before.
- The place of practicing Yoga should be airy,spacious,clean,bright and away from disturbances.
- Yoga should not be practiced on bare floor,keep mat or carpet below.
- Clothes should be clean,comfortable,loose and undergarments are necessary.
- Yoga preferred vegetarian diet however it’s totally upto you but avoid hot diet and spicy food as much as possible.
- women should not practice Yoga during pregnancy but there are particular Yoga poses which can be practiced during menstruation.You need to be careful while practicing Yoga during your periods.
- one should have faith in Yoga and what he is following.
Benefits of yoga
- When your body relaxes,all our body muscles also relax except those muscles,which are used in movements,so one can easily concentrate on particular muscle or on the movement.
- Older and people having diseases can also do these movements without much strain.
Yoga Asanas or Positions
Asana system is the 3rd system in Ashtanga Yoga,Yogasana helps you achieve physical health and control over mind and power of concentration.
Patanjali has described Yogasana as “Sthir Sukham Asanam”,which means the posture that is pleasant and stable.Yogasana more broadly described by Patanjali as “Tatodwanabhighatah”which means practice of yogasana leads to disappearance of duality of sadness-joy,cold-hot,happiness-sorrow and so on.
You know yoga is very different from excercise as it doesn’t involve speedy movements but it has slow and steady movements.
Very less calories are consumed during yogasana practice and your body’s metabolism rate also decreases which means reduced aging process.
Less food is required in your body as digestive power increases.
Pre-Position of Yoga
- Standing position
- Sittig position
- Supine postion
- prone position
Neck Movement 1
Aim: To increase the stamina and flexibility of neck muscles.
Precautions: People who have neck issue like spondylitis should avoid forward bending.
Procedure:Sit in vajrasana and keep your neck straight,then slowly but without jerk start rotating your neck from left shoulder backwards then to the left shoulder then to front.Repeat this anticlockwise starting from right shoulder.
Shoulder Movement 1
Aim:To increase the stamina and flexibility of neck muscles
Precautions:No specific precautions
Procedure:Sit in vajrasana,Keep your body straight with arms by side and then slowly lift your both the shoulders without jerk upwards as much as possible near ears,come back to normal position.
Shoulder Movement 2
Aim: To increase the stamina and flexibility of shoulder and back muscles.
Procedure:Sit in vajrasana posture,keep your body straight,fold your arms,place left fist on left shoulder and right fist on right shoulder,bring both your elbows near chest then slowly without jerk rotate your hands in opposite direction(left arm anticlockwise and right arm clockwise) repeat this in opposite direction( right arm in anticlockwise and left arm clockwise)
Aim: To increase the stamina and flexibility of shoulder muscles and hands.
Precautions:If you feel strain while lifting your hands above ground then do this by keeping them resting on the ground.
Procedure:Relax in savasana posture and keep your hands 6 inches away from your body and legs apart about 12 inch distance.Now lift your hands 1 to 1.5 inches above ground and rotate them towards your head parallel to the ground till both the palms meet and place left palm to the right palm and stretch hands upwards and legs downwards about 5 to 10 seconds and then slowly rotate both the hands back to the normal position.
Benefits:This posture helps in increasing strength of shoulders,neck and stretching helps retain the normal posture.
Aim: To increase the stamina and flexibility of legs and hip muscles.
Precautions:The movement of leg should be slow and continuous.
Procedure:Relax in supine position,Keep your hands towards head and keep them sideways then lift your left leg and bring it near to the hip,repeat this procedure for right leg and slowly bring both the legs back to normal position.
Benefits:This helps development of hip joints and leg muscles.
You can try variations of leg movements.